Monday, June 4, 2012

George at the Forge

George Washington at Valley Forge


I'm not exactly sure why, but this is how I spent today. I recently went out to the Brandywine Battlefield and also Valley Forge for the first time since I was like 7, and it was a super delightful day. My new history-era crush is suddenly the revolution.
I am certain this would make my father very proud.
I've always thought about Valley Forge the way that Washington Irving described it in his Life of George Washington:
"Hungry and cold were the poor fellows who had so long been keeping the field; for provisions were scant, clothing worn out, and so badly off were they for shoes, that the footsteps of many might be tracked in blood."
Even though apparently the winter of 1779 in New Jersey was much rougher.
But whatever, that's kind of where this odd painting came from. Expect to see more in this vein.

No comments: